Not merely helpers but makers of the revolution: researcher Olena Nikolayenko on the steadfast women who put their lives on the line for Ukraine's future.
Olena Nikolayenko is a visiting scholar at the Davis Center. She is an associate professor of political science at Fordham University and the author of Citizens in the Making in Post-Soviet States (Routledge, 2011).
For Further Reading and Viewing
- Documentary “Women of Maidan”
- "I Am a Ukrainian" (posted on February 10, 2014), Yulia Marushevska
- Maidan: Zhinocha Sprava (in Ukrainian) is a compilation of interviews with 17 Ukrainian women who participated in the EuroMaidan and contributed to its success in various ways.
- Povaha: Campaign against Sexism
- Women's rights and gender equality in Ukraine, Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union
The Eurasian Enigma, the Davis Center's podcast, features informal and informative conversations about the region that intrigues us so much. Give us 20 minutes and we’ll give you a chance to learn from the experts—from energy policy to cyber surveillance, from arts and literature to contemporary journalism. Subscribe on iTunes, TuneIn, Soundcloud, or Stitcher, and don't miss an episode!