Graduate Research and Travel Grants

The Davis Center offers grants to Harvard graduate students for research travel to the former Soviet Union or Eastern Europe. Grants are primarily intended to support research but may be used to support language study in a foreign country for students who are not eligible to receive FLAS summer language fellowships. In some cases, research grants will be awarded to support students conducting related research within the United States.

The maximum stipend is generally $4,000 and can be used during the summer of 2020 or during the 2020–21 academic year for a minimum stay of six weeks.


The competition is open to Harvard doctoral and master’s candidates. Funding priority is given to doctoral candidates in the humanities or social sciences, as well as to first-year master’s degree candidates in the program in Regional Studies: Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia (REECA).

Ph.D. candidates receiving summer stipends from GSAS may apply for Davis Center grants to cover only air, rail, and bus fare, ground transportation, and research expenses. They are required to use their GSAS summer stipend to cover lodging and food during the research period. However, first-year REECA students and Ph.D. candidates who are not receiving a summer stipend may apply for Davis Center funding to cover all of the abovementioned expenses during the research period.


Applications for summer 2020 and the 2020–21 academic year are due by 11 p.m. on Friday, February 7, 2020. The Davis Center uses the FAS Common Application for Research and Travel (CARAT).

To apply:

  1. Submit your application online at by 11 p.m. on Friday, February 7.
  2. Upload your application materials: a current resume or CV not to exceed two pages; current grade report printed from the Registrar’s Office website; and a statement of purpose not to exceed 1,000 words.
  3. Please arrange for one letter of recommendation to be uploaded to CARAT directly.

Note that while a number of funding sources use the Common Application for Research and Travel (CARAT), the submission process varies by center. Be sure to follow the instructions outlined in the application.