The Davis Center conducts an annual competition for full-year fellowships for the completion of a doctoral dissertation in the humanities or social sciences pertaining to Russia, Eastern Europe, or Central Asia. The fellowship provides a living stipend, plus funds to cover the Harvard facilities fee and individual health insurance.
Office space and access to computer facilities at the Davis Center will be provided.
Applicants will be judged by their overall merit, the importance of the topic, the clarity of the proposal, and the potential for scholarly contribution.
Harvard doctoral candidates in the humanities or social sciences who anticipate completion of the dissertation by May 15, 2021, are eligible for 2020–2021 fellowships.
- Recipients may not accept other fellowships for the award year; however, the Davis Center will consider requests to accept a partial award in conjunction with this fellowship.
- No teaching is permitted during the award year (including tutorials).
The Davis Center uses the online application system CARAT.
- Fill out the online application at https://apps2.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/carat/. Select "Davis Center for Russian Studies Dissertation Completion Fellowship" as the funding source for which you are applying. You may select multiple funding sources.
- The Davis Center no longer requires a paper copy of application materials. Applicants should, however, be sure to upload into CARAT all required documents including:
- A one-page, double-spaced dissertation abstract along with a Table of Contents indicating progress status for each chapter.
- An evaluation form to be completed by the principal dissertation advisor and an additional advisor, upon receiving the two dissertation chapter drafts, or the equivalent. The Faculty Evaluation Form can be found here (PDF).
- Current résumé or CV
The completed application must be submitted by Friday, February 7, 2020.